Tuesday, February 14, 2006

The Venerable Bean

It always comes back to this for me.

Part of my fascination with body-soul unity is how "there is nothing in the mind that was not first in the sense." It's in the best interest for my soul to have a body that senses so that it can have something to go on. Let's take my infatuation, er...uh...appreciation for coffee. Everytime I smell it, I hear John Denver belting out at the top of his lungs, "...you fill up my senses."

And yet, the uncultured, nay the the pagans of ill-trained palates hurl ungodly castigation against our most beloved of beans - may it be brewed forever. Low brow and low brew, insipid with no top lid, through pure sophistry these attempt to dissuade others from the consumption of our ebony-roasted inamoretto because of "the inconsistency of a remote pleasure in smell coupled with the subsequent bitterness in aftertaste." Oh, would that they should bridle their tongues, those reservoirs of all things bitter! What follows is the unfounded claim that consumption of our espresso-natured bean leads to death. To death they say! Such navery knows not nor notes nimbly Nature's nobility.

Were I to experience such banality in my presence, I would not hold back, I would "speak plainly" and with more conviction than e'er was heard: Get thee to a brewery!!!

Some of you might be shaking your heads...consider this Part I.

5 comments:

lord_sebastian_flyte said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
lord_sebastian_flyte said...

I don't know what faculty it is in me that "handles" puns, but that faculty's motor has been overdriven just now--all heated up and emitting clouds of suspicious, er, emissions--and, all in all, I think that's a good thing.

p.s. There were a couple of embarrassing grammatical glitches in the first version of this comment, so I took the liberty of deleting it like I would an old, greasy t-shirt.

M' Lady's Topsail said...

So I guess it comes down to it: "To bean or not to bean, that is the question." If only the answer were as simple for Hamlet!

Flannery said...

Coffee and bad puns are essentially linked. In the Pacific Northwest small, independantly-owned espresso stands spring up at every corner (no doubt because the state licensing system does not have a lower rate for neutered coffee stands), and they all have super corny names. "The Supreme Bean" and "Holy Grounds" are the only ones I can remember at the moment, though.

lord_sebastian_flyte said...

I am obliged to leave you this link to follow. Make sure your speakers are on.